Wednesday, July 14, 2010

SYTYCD - Top 7

We've lost Alex Freaking Wong, and now we are down to our top 7...

Billy
Robert
Jose
Lauren
AdeChike
Kent

Wait... I didn't even notice that Ashley wasn't in the line up until Cat said something. So now we know that Ashley is automatically in the bottom three.

Each contestant is paired with an Allstar and then gets to randomly pick a partner. All Star Pairings are as follows:

Kent doing Broadway with Neil - I'm looking forward to this.
AdeChike doing Salsa with Anya - I'm trying to have an open mind and not just fast forward through this routine, as much as I might want to.
Robert doing Contemporary with Allison - Ummmm, I love Allison, so I have to watch this.
Ashley was supposed to do a Rumba with Pasha - not so much now.
Billy doing Jive with Anya - Hmmmmm.... Billy needs to bring something more to the stage than pretty lines with this... I love his dancing, but he's not showing any personality so far.
Lauren doing Cultural with Mark - I wonder who's choreographing this.
Jose doing Broadway with Courtney - considering Jose is technically deficient... this could be a hot mess or wonderful... I think it depends on what type of routine it ends up being.

And for the random pairings:
Adechike and Kent
Ashley and Robert
Billy and Lauren
Jose and Dominic - (this could be bad for Jose - Dominic is Awesomesauce)

First up:
Lauren and Mark - I think her athleticism really helped her in this routine. I mean, I really don't think I could shake my rear like that... I couldn't tell how good her technique really was because I have no idea what it should really look like. I will say I did like Lauren's shout out thanking them for sharing this with her.

Next Up:
AdeChike and Anya - Well... I didn't find it hot... and I think part of that is the fault of the choreographers for throwing too much at them. It felt rushed, and while I'm impressed that AdeChike didn't drop Anya, that was about all I got from the routine. And can I just say - Mia Michaels! Last week she took a beating for how she dealt with AdeChike, and this week I was worried she'd be overly soft on him... but she gave him wonderful constructive criticism this week. Made me happy.

And Now:
Jose and Courtney - Oh... I love Jose still, but that would have been an AMAZING routine with Billy. The steps just weren't there, he didn't go big enough, he wasn't sharp enough, he wasn't polished.

Next:
Robert and Allison (Doing a Travis routine!) - okay, so I'm already crying and I'm just in the prepackaged footage. Travis... Travis... emotional manipulation playing the mom card. Okay... so I watched it and the part that I got the most emotion from was at the end when her feet were on his and he was walking for her... THAT was a moment... Even the look on Robert's face was perfect there. The rest was very well danced, but for me everything that the piece was, happened at the end.

Now:
Billy and Anya - I felt that was horrible. It was awkward and just... not good. Billy has crazy legs, I love Billy's crazy legs... but not in this routine. He wasn't down in it - the jive is bouncy, not floaty. Billy was committed and fast and sharp - which is part of it, but I still found it lacking.

Next:
Kent and Neil (will it be Tyce or Keith?) Totally Tyce... I really, really, really liked that one. That was fun and well danced. The tricks were great - and well placed - it didn't feel rushed, it was perfect timing and great teamwork and effortless.

And now we are on to contestant dancing with each other...

First Up:
Lauren and Billy - Mandy Moore Jazz Routine - MUCH MORE BETTERER. That was cute. Perfect level of adorable for Billy and Lauren. That was a better connection for Billy. He totally just let loose and enjoyed it, which was great to see. And Lauren has grown since the beginning... her technique was great and I really enjoyed her in this one.

Side note: We have a preview for Step Up 3D... Woot! You know I'm totally going to be there in the theaters (matinee please)- who's with me?

Next:
Jose and Dominic - Okay, so did he do better in this routine than the last one he did... yes. Some of the tricks were impressive... BUT in my opinion, Dominic killed it more than Jose did. The side by side spins... did you see how much faster and harder Dominic hit that? Are the judges going to comment on it? Of course not. Is it just me?

Now:
Kent and AdeChike - Brilliant. Seriously, I think this was my favorite of the night. Kent was amazing. AdeChike had his best chemistry on stage EVER. This was some seriously good dancing. Kent was strong and yet desperate and longing. Seeking and searching... Just beautiful. At one point when he sat on the one chair and ran his hand up the other chair I had a moment of Travis Wall in the Bench Routine. Just wonderful. From the Choreography to the Music to the dancing to the character... everything was perfect for me. I've now watched it four times... and each time I see something new to love about it.

Finaly:
Robert and Ashley doing Disco... Oh no... Disco is the worst on this show pretty consistently every single time. So Robert gets Kathryn... Lets see if he drops her again this week. Well, he didn't drop her but there were a few awkward transitions. That routine looked crazy hard. I will say that Robert didn't let his energy lag, considering the exhaustion factor that must have been going on. I did agree with Mia that he wasn't masculine enough to pull off the outfit.

So, bottom three in my opinion based on routines:
Ashley
Jose
Robert/Billy - Both had one good/one bad routine.

Bottom three based on popularity:
Ashley
Robert
Billy

Safe:
Lauren
Kent - duh
AdeChike will also benefit because of his routine with Kent and general good will leftover from how badly he was treated last week...

What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment