Thursday, July 22, 2010

SYTYCD - Top 6

So last week we lost Ashley, due to injury... and I just heard (since I didn't get to watch last night when it aired) that Billy has ALSO been injured. Seriously, I don't know what is going on this season... but I'm thinking maybe voodoo from a hoodoo - or that one guy who got injured right before the show and so didn't get into even the top 11...

Anyway, so this week we have:

AdeChike
Kent
Lauren
Jose
Robert

And no Billy... Hey, WHAT in the WORLD is Cat wearing?!?!? That is unfortunate.

And the judges are on some sort of crack... Kenny Ortega is a "special guest judge" and we've got to introduce that with spinney chairs. And to top that off, we go from talking about injuries to talking about how the costume designer won an Emmy. Let's hope she wasn't the one that dressed Cat this episode (see that? Full Circle!) anyway, moving on!

It's time to find out our pairings. This week everyone gets to dance 3, count em, One-Two-Three times! Once with an all star, Once Solo and Once with Each Other. This time though they aren't spilling all the deets on who's dancing with whom or to what - so let's just get down to it!

First Up:
Lauren and Twitch doing the Hip-Hop with NappyTabs. That was AWESOME. Not QUITE Alex Freaking Wong good, but really good. She hit everything right for me. She was sexy but not too sexy and still managed to be cute and also hard and she kept up with Twitch, which is no easy thing. I liked her flow and the gymnastic rolls she did - not only FIT, but helped make her a focal point for me. It was a really good routine from NappyTabs - From the music choice, to the choreography, to the chemistry, to the costume, to the hair... it ALL worked for me. Even the giddyup kick in Twitch's rear at the end... so fun. (Save a horse, ride a cowboy indeed) Great way to start it off.

Next:
Jose and Allison doing Contemporary with Sonya. Okay... so everyone knows that Sonya is not always my favorite contemporary choreographer because she's often a tad too strange for me... This routine was no exception. I wanted to like it, because I adore Allison and I'm super fond of Jose... but all I felt from it, was a sort of sad mime thing going on. The herky jerky movements, the over exaggerated expressions... Even the music said "sad clown" to me - or like she watched UP and wanted to do her own spin to the opening montage - but I didn't get it. And, let's face it... Jose is a sweet boy, but he's not the BEST dancer. I kept wondering how that would have looked had it been danced by Kent or Alex Freaking Wong or Mark... Mark always looks so good dancing Sonya's strange dances. It was just eh for me... I have a feeling I won't remember it by the end of the show.

Now:
Robert and Lauren dancing Jazz by a Tyce (or Keith). Ummmmm... no. He licked her leg. Really Keith? Really? Why are you choreographing this S&M Jazz-esque 1980's B Movie film dance sequence? HORRIBLE. From the bow-chicka-wow-wow over the top beat me upside the head music to the ripped shirt bondage visual cues... I mean really subtle... I don't even want to listen to the judges heap praise upon that because... Ewww. I'm sorry, I couldn't see any of the Dance Technique because I was grossed out by the oookieness of the whole thing.

First Solo:
AdeChike - Beautiful... Simply beautiful. Granted, the song makes me inclined to love the performance - and was a dangerous choice since it was such a beautiful piece done by Ade which other people (like me) could be comparing him to... But he danced so well, that it didn't really matter.

Next Up:
Kent and Kathryn doing Jazz by Sonya - That was kinda fun. It was bouncy. I do agree with Mia that Kent does armature the moves with his faces sometimes although not as badly this week as he has in weeks past. He plays to the audience though - and who's to say if that's not the smartest thing he could be doing. I do love him.

2nd Solo:
Robert - That was pretty. The fact that he's only 20... yeah... sometimes I forget that.

Aside: I WANT TO SEE RAMONA AND BEEZUS

3rd Solo:
Lauren - She's so powerful... Her control is getting better too. Perhaps that's why she's the only girl left...

Now:
AdeChike dancing with Comfort to a NappyTabs Lyrical Hip Hop Routine. (usually my favorite kind!) Wow... Really, really good. I admit, Comfort was not one of the All Stars I was looking forward to having on the show - but she has really GROWN since she was on the show. Anyone else feeling a little Ike and Tina going on? Honestly, it was like watching a danced out scene from What's Love Got to Do With It. As far as AdeChike goes, the highest compliment I can pay him here is that I forgot he wasn't a hip-hop dancer. He was fully committed and it just worked. The chemistry was wonderful. The anger seemed so real between them, the struggle was beautiful to watch. The under leg move was a little awkward, but other than that it was very well danced. And... can I just say - I didn't even mind the use of the highly over-played Alicia Keys song because it fit it to perfection.

4th Solo:
Jose - (he has his mothers smile.) It's nice to see him having fun on the stage... again, I will say that he's not my favorite B-Boy to take the SYTYCD stage, or even the most talented B-Boy - but he is adorable.

5th Solo:
Kent - I adore Kent. NICE SONG CHOICE! Play to your audience boy - that's the way to do it.

Next Up:
Robert and Lauren dancing the Samba by Dimitry. A "beach party" Samba? Ummm... Lauren was (or tried to be) the best part of that routine... I just didn't really care for the routine. But - Robert... I can't... I don't... I just... no thanks.

And then we have:
AdeChike and Jose doing a Paso Doble? Look it's Legacy as the assistant. I love Legacy. I miss Legacy. I want a swirly cape and some Urkel Pants. But that's kind of most of what I got from that dance. AdeChike had some very strong movements - the leap over and then the knee slide across the floor, that was hot and manly. But it seems like they got winded and lost power after that and started to really struggle with their energy and commitment.

And Finally we have:
Kent doing a step routine (without Billy) by Chuck Maldonado - WOOT TWITCH! So... that was a step routine... and it was hard to love because all the SCREAMING got in the way of me paying attention to the synchronization to fairly judge it. It seems like it worked - The judges seem really happy - so I'm gonna go watch it again. The costumes and the screaming... just distractions. The steps were mostly decent. Kent definitely committed to it.

Bottom 3:
Billy
Jose
Robert

If Billy is okay and can dance next week - and that is the bottom 3, I think they'll let Jose go... UNLESS Billy or Robert turns in a horrible solo or just sort of phones it in.

What do you guys think?

1 comment:

  1. I can honestly say, I am not a huge fan of Jose.. I think Legacy ruined it for me, bc he COULD dance other dances. Jose, not so much. I do like Robert.. he seems sincere to me, but Kent is also growing on me. I wasn't a fan of the pasa doble, and my favorite dance was the breakup dance. It grabbed me, what can I say.

    ReplyDelete